Skip to content

Son Marroig

son marroig

Son Marroig; the most beautiful viewpoint over the Sierra de Tramuntana

Description

The Son Marroig estate is an old estate in the Sierra de Tramuntana, located in the municipality of Deià. It was acquired by Archduke Luis Salvador at the end of the 19th century and has been a museum house since 1929.

From here you can enjoy some of the most beautiful panoramic views of the north coast of Mallorca.

At the time, the Archduke had several lookout points built, the best known and most spectacular of which is the Carrara marble pavilion, an imitation of a Greek tholos.

In the grounds of the estate is the famous geographical feature of Sa Foradada, a rocky outcrop with a large hole, one of the most characteristic of the entire Mallorcan coast.

In addition to visiting the house and discovering a wide variety of collector’s items and works of art, you can also tour the gardens and courtyards, and visit the 16th century defence tower that stands next to the mansion.

vistas desde Son Marroig

In addition to being a museum, the Son Marroig estate is dedicated to the celebration of events, mainly weddings.

Next to the viewpoint there is a bar, and also following a comfortable forest path we can reach the cove of the Sa Foradada peninsula, where there is a reputable restaurant where we can eat or drink while we enjoy the magnificent views of this beautiful corner of the Mallorcan coastline.

Price and opening hours

The museum is open from Monday to Saturday, from 9:00 to 14:00 and from 15:30 to 16:30. The price is €4 per person, with free admission for children under 12. In the case of organised groups of more than 20 people, the price is €3 per person.

Son Marroig

How to get to Son Marroig

The access to Son Marroig is next to the Ma-10 road, which runs along the Sierra de Tramuntana from Andratx to Pollensa.

How to get to Son Marroig by car

Open route in GPS

The most usual route is to leave Palma in the direction of Valldemossa. From there we leave in the direction of Deià, and after 900 m we will come to a turning on the right, where the direction of Deià is again indicated. A little more than 5 km further on you will find the entrance to Son Marroig well signposted.

From the northern half of the island (Cala Ratjada, Can Picafort, Alcudia), it is best to head towards Inca and take the Ma-13 motorway. Take exit 8 (Bunyola). First follow the signs to Bunyola, but at the third roundabout head towards s’Esglaieta. From there, follow the signs to Valldemossa.

How to get to Son Marroig by public transport

Next to the entrance to Son Marroig there is a bus stop on line 203, which runs between Palma and Puerto de Sóller, and also passes through Valldemossa and Deià.

Son Marroig

History of Son Marroig

Middle and Modern Ages: the origin of the possessió de Son Marroig

Like so many other possessions in Mallorca, Son Marroig has its origins in a farmhouse from the Muslim period. The possessions, especially in the Sierra, had a small area dedicated to housing and were very much dedicated to practical uses: kitchen, wine cellar, oil mill, rooms for different jobs…

The main building probably dates back to the 15th century, as the farmhouse of Jaume Mas Roig is inventoried in 1491

The lands belonged to the abbot of the monastery of La Real, and the Mas Roig family owned them in allodium. In Mallorcan private law, this means that on each transfer of ownership, a laudemio must be paid to the owner of the property. Thanks to this figure and the registers associated with it, it has been possible to trace the origin and successive owners of many estates on the island.

The square defence tower next to the house was probably built in the 16th century

This tower was part of the defensive system of the Mallorcan coastline that warned of pirate and corsair raids, and which remained in use until the end of the 18th century and the beginning of the 19th century. According to tradition, the last person captured by corsairs in Mallorca was a woman, precisely in Son Marroig at the end of the 18th century.

Sometime between the 16th century and the end of the 17th century, the surnames Mas Roig gave rise to the compound Masroig, and the estate was known as Sa Foradada de los Masroig. At the end of the 18th century it is mentioned as Son Masroig de Sa Foradada. In 1852 it was rented to the Mas brothers, from Valldemossa, and finally in 1863 it was sold to the Cortei family, from Deià.

Son Marroig

19th century: Archduke Ludwig Salvator’s residence

Archduke Ludwig Salvator of Austria, a member of the Austro-Hungarian imperial family, had already settled in Mallorca in 1867, in s’Estaca. He also bought the nearby monastery of Miramar, founded in 1276 by the philosopher and theologian Ramón Llull. The archduke intended to recover Llull’s legacy, and as part of the recovery of the Miramar area, he proposed to acquire Son Marroig.

He finally closed the purchase in 1877, paying the Cortei family 200,000 pounds, a much higher price than any other estate in Mallorca. When some people pointed out to him the tremendous overprice he had paid, he replied that with that money “he had not even paid for the hole of Sa Foradada”, such was the value he attached to the property and all its surroundings.

His yacht, the Nixe, was anchored in the small inner cove of the Sa Foradada peninsula. To facilitate access, he had the road built that still leads down to the cove today. He also renovated the house, giving it a more palatial air, restored the defence tower and built several lookout points. The most famous are the so-called des Galliner (located where the henhouses used to be), and the Carrara marble pavilion. The latter is a replica of the one on an island at Villa Durazzo Pallavicini in Genoa, which is an imitation of a tholos (classical Greek temple) in the Ionic style.

In addition to being one of the archduke’s Mallorcan residences, Son Marroig was the habitual residence of his secretary, Antonio Vives.

Son Marroig

20th century: the Archduke’s legacy

On the death of the archduke in 1915, Antonio Vives inherited the property, but was not able to enjoy it for much longer, as he died in 1918. It was inherited by his daughter, Luisa, who was married to the painter Antonio Ribas. It was Ribas who in 1929 created a small museum to exhibit both his own works and those of other painters of the time with links to Mallorca (Joan Bauçà, Joaquin Mir, Anglada Camarasa…).

Since 1978 the Deià International Music Festival has been held in Son Marroig, as well as in the monastery of Miramar and the church of Deià

It is also a very popular venue for all kinds of events, particularly weddings, due to its privileged setting and splendid views.

Mallorqueando