Cala Formentor; the jewel of Pollensa Bay
Services and Features
Weather in Cala Formentor
Cala Formentor, formerly known as Cala Pi de la Posada, houses the famous beach of Formentor, a sandy beach of 1 km in length, but barely between 8 and 12 m wide, of very fine white sand washed by clean and calm waters. Located on the Formentor peninsula, very close to Puerto de Pollensa, in the municipality of Pollensa, this area is one of the most emblematic tourist destinations in Mallorca. You could say that with the construction of the Gran Hotel Formentor in 1929 the modern international projection of Mallorca began as a tourist destination.
The beach forms a gentle slope and the shallow depth of the water makes it a perfect place to enjoy family with young children
It also has accesses enabled for people with reduced mobility. Because of its size, it has space to house facilities for different sports and water activities, which makes it an unbeatable destination for all types of audiences.
The beach environment remains virtually unspoiled
Although the figure of the hotel stands out, otherwise the beach is surrounded by a dense pine and oak forest typical of this part of the Mediterranean. At some points the trees practically touch the sea. The beach is cleaned regularly but sometimes there may be remains of algae and posidonia brought by the sea.
Due to its popularity and ease of access, the place is too crowded during the summer months
Being difficult to find a place on the sand to throw our towels, although there is always the option, somewhat less comfortable, to take advantage of the shade offered by the pines.
It is also a good destination to arrive by boat
The bay of Pollensa in general and the area of Cala Formentor in particular have good conditions for anchoring boats. Because the cove is on the south side of the Formentor peninsula, caution should be exercised when anchoring with winds from the southeast-south-southwest.
How to get to Cala Formentor
As we have said, Formentor beach is located on the peninsula of the same name, next to Puerto de Pollensa. Access by car is very simple
- If we are in Palma and its surroundings we must follow the central highway Ma-13 until the end, taking exit 40 towards Pollensa. We will then follow the Ma-2200 and we will not abandon it until we reach Puerto de Pollensa. There we will arrive at a very characteristic roundabout since it has the structure of a seaplane, where we will take the third exit, again on the Ma-2200. We will continue along that road that borders Puerto de Pollensa, and begin the ascent to the Formentor peninsula. Above all there is a spectacular viewpoint called Es Colomer where we can stop to enjoy spectacular views of the entire Formentor peninsula and Pollensa Bay. Next comes a descent at the end of which, just before access to the hotel and the residential area, there is a parking lot.
- If we are in the north of Mallorca (Can Picafort, Puerto de Alcudia, etc.) we must connect with the Ma-12, which runs through the north of the island, to Alcudia. From there we will take the Ma-2220 towards Puerto de Pollensa. If we do not plan to stop at the same port at the roundabout we will take the second exit, which keeps us on the same Ma-2220, until we reach the hydroplane roundabout that we have indicated before, to continue straight to Cala Formentor.
Keep in mind that parking can be quite expensive, so public transport is a very good option
In the summer months access to the lighthouse of Formentor is prohibited almost all day
Being able to access only by bicycle, or with this bus of Line 353 that serves as a shuttle between the Port of Pollensa and the lighthouse.
To reach Puerto de Pollensa we have this lines:
- 340 from Palma
- 345 if we are in Pollensa
- 352 from Can Picafort and Alcudia Bay area
- and 354 and 355 that link Can Picafort and Sóller
Finally, if we are in the area of the east we have the lines:
Cala Formentor is a privileged place for its waters, its sand and its surroundings, but it can be enjoyed with all the comforts. In the summer months there is a lifeguard service to enjoy the sea in complete tranquility. There is also a rental service for sun beds and umbrellas. It is important to note that the cove is divided into three sectors, each with different rates.
It also has showers, bathrooms and is accessible for people with reduced mobility. There are also two souvenir shops
On the beach is the buffet restaurant, where we can buy soft drinks and food to drink both in the same restaurant and on the beach. However, it is expensive for the quality it offers. Within walking distance is the best quality restaurant La Veranda, with options of typical Mallorcan and international food, but also quite expensive. And if we bet on luxury, we have the restaurant of the Formentor hotel itself, of exceptional quality, but price according to that quality and privileged situation.
As we have said, the clean, calm and shallow waters of Cala Formentor, together with the existence of a lifeguard service, make it a perfect place for families with children and people with mobility problems to enjoy.
In addition to swimming, Cala Formentor is a good place for snorkeling, paddlesurfing, windsurfing and canoeing
There are facilities where you can rent the necessary equipment for your practice. There are also facilities for renting small sailboats, catamarans and kayaks.
If our sport is diving, near Cala Formentor there are very good places to practice it
To the south, at Punta de l’Avançada, the shallow waters are a perfect place for initiation. On the north end of the cove is the island of Formentor, and next to it the Charlotte cave, another simple dive to start enjoying this sport. Following the coast to the north there are several points of interest, until reaching the end of the Formentor cape, only suitable for expert divers and with deep diving certification.
And for lovers of the strongest emotions in the hotel you can rent flyboards: a board connected to a boat with which we can literally fly over the waters.
But Cala Formentor offers us not only exceptional waters but also an incomparable environment for hiking
From the beach of Formentor we can reach the lighthouse along the entire Formentor peninsula. We can also reach the nearby Cala Murta and Cala Figuera, already crossing the other side of the Formentor peninsula. It is also planned to signal soon the last stage of the Pedra en Sec Route , GR221, which runs through the Sierra de Tramuntana. This stage would begin at the refuge of the Pont Romà, in Pollensa, and end at the Formentor lighthouse.
- Excursion Playa de Formentor – Cabo de Formentor
- Excursion Cala en Feliu – Cala Murta – Cala Figuera
Finally, the Formentor road is very popular among cyclists
Although the steep slopes at some points make them unfit for everyone.
The closest accommodation to Formentor is, of course, the Hotel Formentor itself, a world-class luxury facility. If we look for something more affordable in Puerto de Pollensa we can find a great offer, from hostels to four-star hotels, aparthotels, apartments and tourist flats, chalets and rural estates.